Amble 2nd Cricket Team 1951-52

Photograph Janet Rice Collection, Janet's Father standing 3rd from the left.


Back L-R
Cliff Hogg who had Ackroyd & Hogg drapers on Queen Street where the new bookies now stands. This shop was destroyed by fire in 1971/72 and rebuilt; Ian Hogg son of Cliff, was a fitter at Broomhill colliery and later went into school teaching; George Whinham miner at Hauxley colliery and lived in Lindisfarne Road; Ron Davison school teacher at Edwin Street school later headmaster at Heddon on the Wall; Dave Lockey, sports teacher at Amble Modern school; Ossie Ross bricklayer at Hauxley colliery, his mother had the sweet shop at bottom of Church street/ Bridge street known locally as "Ross's Corner. Caught people getting off the bus, en-route the pictures, who bought their sweets.

Front L-R
Walter Nelson, lived in Amble not an Amble man; George Cracket ended up as the MD of Carse the builders; Norman Gardner, surveyor with the NCB at local collieries; Tommy Murray, electrician with Tommy Tully and later Marshall at the top of Church Street/ Wellwood street, now Peter Keens place; Bob Smailes, one of several brothers was a local barber after leaving school.

Identification by Janet Rice, Alan Jamieson, and Tommy Murray (pictured)


home 2011